quiet computers was: MacQuarium Goes Intel...

Joseph S. Barrera III joe at barrera.org
Thu Dec 4 09:19:32 PST 2003

Eugen Leitl wrote:

>  Sometimes I need to do weird stuff, like dragging around an SV40
>  virus in OpenGL, with full atomic coordinates. It is intensely
>  painful on a somewhat dusty desktop. No can do on a notebook. Both
>  CPU and graphics accelerators can't handle it.

Yeah, OK, I lied, I kept one box with a good graphics card
and a TB of disk, but it's off most of the time. It used to be
on all the time until I moved the music and the printers/scanners
to the file server laptop.

But there are some things a laptop can't do, I admit.

> > Quiet is good. Plus no more huge lead-filled monitors.
>
>  I don't think the evironmental footprint of an LCD panel is smaller
>  than a CRTs. Bigger, arguably. This will change with polymer displays

I'm just glad I don't have to pick up and move the damn things
any more. And besides the *actual* footprint is without argument
much bigger.

- Joe