Subject: Re: Canada, stereotypes, and the ugly truth?

Ian Andrew Bell fork at ianbell.com
Thu Dec 4 20:59:16 PST 2003

It takes ears to give people voices.  People watch Bill O'Reilly's
show, buy his books, and listen to his drivel.    We can vote with our
feet by not giving people like him an audience, if we think he's
ignorant and intolerant.  We can also vote (literally), influence
others to vote, and work actively to support politicians whose ideals
we believe in -- and I don't mean with money, though clearly in the US
this is a major lever.

It ain't called participatory democracy for nothing.  There's not much
that's participatory about less than 50% of a populace hitting the
polling booths.  Fixing that, which probably means reforming the
electoral college, is a start.

In short, I think that democracy in the US is very very ill.

-Ian.