quiet computers was: MacQuarium Goes Intel...

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Dec 5 05:12:06 PST 2003

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 12:16:10PM -0800, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:

> I don't find to be a problem... then again I'm not often pounding
> on the disk a lot. And I have a GB of RAM so I'm not paging

Imagine that be MRAM, what's the average time between
reboots? The best I could do would be weeks, interrupted
by those pesky patches which need a reboot. I don't think
a current GUI box could have even a year uptime.

> and a lot of stuff stays cached.

Anyone remembers these 1024 byte Forth screens one loaded
from 720 kByte floppies? I never had a spare SCSI drive (my
first had a whopping 116 MByte, after living with dual
flooppies for so many years), and using a partition appeared
way too risky.

I wonder what would have happend if the world took a Forth
fork, not the Unix/C one. It's a big hike up from OpenBoot
to TCP/IP and Quartz, though.