new{/_}

Lucas Gonze lgonze at panix.com
Fri Dec 5 15:18:57 PST 2003

On Friday, Dec 5, 2003, at 18:05 America/New_York, Justin Mason wrote:
> I'm wondering, though, if
>
>    http://example.com/user/new
>    http://example.com/journal/new
>    http://example.com/entry/new
>
> noun-verb wouldn't be slightly better; useful if you've got e.g.
>
>    http://example.com/journal/	(the list of entries)
>    http://example.com/journal/93248/	(an earlier entry)

That's where I started from, i.e. an ideologically REST perspective,
thinking that I had an obligation to internet architecture to use
nouns.  But at this point I've found that I can get a shallower
hierarchy -- which I strongly believe users prefer -- if I put the
nouns at the end.

So rather than /user/new, /user/journal/987888,
user/journal/879888/as_rss, etc, I'm doing /newuser, /journal/[unique
journal ID], /rss/[unique journal ID], etc.  This doesn't do too much
violence to REST-y design and lowers the amount of structure that users
have to deal with.

In the end I'll have a flat namespace rather than a hierarchical one.

- Lucas