Fly Me to L 1

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Dec 7 12:27:31 PST 2003

There's no mass at a Lagrange point (there might be a few m rock trapped there).
You have to bring up everything with you, either from Earth or Luna
surface. If you want to deorbit for a soft landing you have to pay full
price in reaction mass. Unlike LEO, you can't deorbit in a huff should
something go wrong.

I haven't read the Buzz piece, but I see no single point for a yet
more expensive pointless piece of hardware up there. Luna makes sense.
Orbit makes no sense at all (I wish we were like Mars, and had
Phobos/Deimos up there, but we're extremely lucky to have Luna,
anyway).