Orange and Rosy

Geege geege at barrera.org
Sun Dec 7 20:19:28 PST 2003

bolcer:
Unless you ask completely leading and biased questions or take
very poor samples, the objectivity of the source
has nothing to do with the personal opinions of the
sample.

geege:
my point is the sample polled is a politically homogeneous group

greg:
There's very few people in the world
that use a single news source to form their opinions.

geege:
yep.

greg:
If you are trying to take a pot shot at the OC
Register, then you are confusing the messenger with
the message.  They are just reprinting the story
and it's the best copy I could find online.

geege:
i'm NOT saying the register or the message is flawed. i'm suggesting the
people polled are of one mind.

greg:
I guess you aren't familiar with the PPIC or the PPIC Orange
County Survey, the Chapman University Economic
Forecast, nor the pan-national economic
impact of south America, Pacific Rim, and
far and near Asia on the local economy and
the Pacific Stock Exchange.

geege:
why, i do believe i posted this on fork back in '98:
http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/98aug/amfuture.htm

Orange County: Among the World's Biggest Economies

ORANGE County, which forms the southern part of greater Los Angeles, is,
along with Westchester, Marin, and Dade, among the few counties in America
that are household names. Orange County is America's most fully evolved
urban pod, in which alliances are based on technology rather than geography
and classic definitions of city and suburb no longer apply. Perhaps the
county -- larger and less dense than the largest cities but smaller than the
smallest states -- will replace the city as the civic center of the future.
Already the western Kansas City suburbs, which I had visited earlier, are
called Johnson County, and the prosperous Maryland suburbs of Washington,
D.C., are called Montgomery County.

Orange County -- "a major airport in search of a city" -- stands for what
everybody hates about the suburbs, with their crass affluence and
neither-nor landscape. It is often described as 782 square miles of dull
residential streets, malls, and office parks without a downtown. And it is
notorious for the 1994 bankruptcy of its treasury, the result of trying to
fund its operations not through high taxes but through risky investments. I
was prepared to hate Orange County. I came away respecting it, more
intrigued than I had been by many "exotic" and "romantic" cities.

Parts of Orange County are beautiful, and the county works. If it were a
state, its economy would be roughly equal to Arizona's; if it were a
country, its economy would rank among the top thirty or so in the world.
About a third of the firms in the county are involved in international
trade, and they run the gamut of high-technology products. Orange County is
now what Johnson County and other suburban pods I visited in the Midwest
could become: a multiracial world trade center linked to overseas cities by
direct flights -- say, between Omaha and Beijing and Kansas City and Paris.
(Since the late 1980s the export sectors of many local economies in America
have grown dramatically; from 1987 to 1995 by 200 percent in California, 250
percent in Utah, and 375 percent in Idaho.)