cpunk-like meeting report

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Dec 15 03:27:03 PST 2003

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 06:36:12PM -0800, Tim May wrote:

> No, we don't need a "cpunx-news" list. This is what Google and the
> ability to see hundreds of various lists and sites is for.

This is a bogus statement. As long as I can't use a single keyword to make
Google's news alerts topical, and _full text_ a search engine is rather useless.

> "News" lists tend strongly to be just dumping grounds for crap from
> other lists.

The point is that you don't have to subscribe to 20-odd email lists, which
have about 5% relevance each. Life's too short for that. People are the best
filters, and with a handful of sustained contributors the list becomes a
valuable resource.

> I failed the entrance exam for "Interesting People," which is fine, for
> obvious reasons.

Case in point: most of IP list traffic is garbage from a cypherpunk point of
view. Let one list subscriber read it, and filter relevant bits to the
newsticker.

If it's a steaming pile of crap for Tim May it doesn't mean it's useless for
everybody else.