[NYT] Atkins sparks low carb biz boom

Elias Sinderson elias at cse.ucsc.edu
Mon Jan 5 08:33:29 PST 2004

Bill Humphries wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2004, at 5:40 PM, Adam L Beberg wrote:
>
>> It's amazing just how innovative people can be when it comes to
>> avoiding self control and moving.
>
> I'd imagine that avoiding carbs would take some level of self control.

Which would explain why, statistically, most people fail miserably in
their attempts to follow *any* dietary regimen. Following a plan that
someone else has put together for you, no matter how bizarre (e.g. the
watermelon diet, the cabbage soup diet, the 'eat as much meat as you
want but no carbs or starches' diet, etc.), is infinitely attractive to
people who just can't get it together themselves. Note that I'm not
saying that all people who attempt to follow a program are hopelessly
lacking in self control, there is clearly a spectrum of personal
responsibility that people are scattered across, but simply that if
someone has a hard time doing something it is very easy for them to
foist the burden on someone/something else - more a comment on human
nature than anything else. subsequently, when the diet subsequently
fails it is then equally easy to blame the program, again failing to
take responsibility for something which is, ultimately, a personal
issue. In all fairness, I do recognize that there are cases which don't
support the above, but I believe that they are the minority as opposed
to the rule.

I've often thought that simply educating people as to proper nutrition
and exercise would go a long way towards making them healthier -
knowledge is key. Another year, another fad diet, along with it's
incomplete information about nutrition, simplified rules, point counting
schemes, etc. and another wave of failed resolutions to 'really do it
this time' which end up leaving most people with a lower sense of self
esteem and greater sense of despair than when they started the damn
thing. What people really need is to spend some time understanding how
their bodies work and how what they eat affects them, both mentally and
physically. Unfortunately very few people get this kind of information
when they are growing up and end up wondering why they're 'morbidly
obese' (a terrible, yet increasingly applicable term for much of the US
population), while they eat shite for lunch most days (can you say
'double bacon cheeseburger, super size fries and a large *diet* cola').
Not to mention what passes for breakfast and dinner in most homes across
the country. What really makes me sad is seeing little kids who have
obviously been raised on happy meals and don't know any better...

I guess I was lucky to have developed good eating habits as a child, and
have difficulty understanding how people can grow up without learning
this. As for the Atkins diet, there is an increasing body of evidence
that it is neither nutritionally sound, nor a viable long term solution
to being healthy and maintaining an ideal body weight [1]. Let's face
it, you cannot live your life in a state of ketosis. Honestly, what
people really need is not a short term dietary solution full of
marketing hype but long term lifestyle change reinforced by a solid
understanding of nutrition and their own biological reality. Our bodies
need carbohydrates just as they need protiens, vitamins and minerals.
Nutritionists and physicians have been saying the same thing for years
and years to people who want to lose weight, be healthier and live
longer as a result - eat well balanced meals (perhaps smaller ones) and
get more regular exercise. It really is just that simple... Doing so
takes a little self discipline at first but, in the long run, becomes
habitual and easy.

Regards,
Elias

[1] <http://www.atkinsdietalert.org/consumer.html>