Aliens Cause Global Warming

Luis Villa louie at ximian.com
Mon Jan 5 16:44:31 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 19:20, Dr. Robert J. Harley wrote:
> RAH quoted:
> >Aliens Cause Global Warming
> >
> >A lecture by Michael Crichton
> >Caltech Michelin Lecture
> >January 17, 2003
> >
> >[...]
>
> Wow, a long FoRKpost that I actually read all of... must have been good!
>
> Concerning Lomborg, I got his book a few days ago in Dublin.  It's
> basically a big compendium of statistics and graphs with commentary on
> how the facts don't appear to support the loony-green screed du jour
> (yet it actually doesn't recommend killing all the whales or pouring
> nitric acid into baby milk - gasp!).  Hard to fault it unless the
> numbers are all made up, although he has extensive notes and
> references (no, I didn't check them; therefore the numbers must all be
> made up).
>
> As well as the smacking down that Lomborg + book got in Scientific
> American and elsewhere as mentioned in Crichtons' lecture, he also got
> official-ish-ly accused of "scientific dishonesty" by some Danish
> committee, but then recently the committee got bashed for its
> scurrilous "findings":
>
>   http://www.economist.com/science/displayStory.cfm?story_id=2299989

If you actually read the criticisms of the committee's findings, which
it is not entirely clear the Economist did, the criticisms were mainly
of the committee's process (which I do agree seemed... a bit
witch-hunty), not of the committee's findings. The findings are hard to
argue with- were I a prof, I'd fail any second-year student in the hard
sciences who makes some of the terrible mistakes he does with
extrapolation and sampling. To call Lumborg 'science' is an insult to
decent scientists anywhere.

Luis