[>Htech] theloom: memories stored by prions?

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Mon Jan 5 21:40:17 PST 2004

Quick $0.02,

I would personally be thrilled if prions played a role in memory
encoding:  it appears to me that it would substantially increase the
likelihood of success for cryonic suspension.  (If Penrose is right and
consciousness is grounded in quantum gravity phenomena, things look
bleak to me;  if memory is purely electrochemical gradients, then
better odds --- and the more "chemical" the better.  But structural
encoding, now that's the ticket.)

Odd thoughts:  prion transfer as the basis for various kinds of
"learning," predisposition, archetypes, etc?  Elements of cognition as
infectious agents, epidemiology of Jung's "collective subconcious,"
attitude-forming and reinforcement in subcultures, etc?

Sounds like PKD to me.  But then, he's been so right on so many
things... :-/

Random,

jb