"On Crime as Science (a Neighbor at a Time)"

Meltsner, Kenneth Kenneth.Meltsner at ca.com
Tue Jan 6 08:53:48 PST 2004

I don't think the study invalidates "broken windows."  They're trying to
see whether the evidence (in detail) supports that theory -- developed
by a couple of smart guys from anecdotal evidence, not research -- and
what other conclusions could be drawn from real evidence.

One of the better engineers that I've worked with (at Chevron) used to
say "The crack is always right."  That is, when theory and observation
conflict, observation has to take precedence.  Oddly, the statement
applies to urban planning as well....

Ken