Giant Sucking Sound

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Tue Jan 6 10:20:44 PST 2004

Nah, the U.S. is in GREAT shape!  Our primary exports --- software
know-how and culture --- will *never* be overtaken.  Er, waitasec:
we've killed the culture export market by being global dickheads, and
now...  (BTW, yes this was /. --- but this is for the archive.)

---

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/407043.cms

Finally, B'lore beats Silicon ValleyAdd to Clippings
SATYA PRAKASH SINGH

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ TUESDAY, JANUARY 06, 2004 02:23:26 AM ]

BANGALORE: The inevitable has happened. Bangalore, which grew under the
shadow of America 's Silicon Valley over the last two decades, has
finally overtaken its parent.

Today, Bangalore stands ahead of Bay Area, San Francisco and
California, with a lead of 20,000 techies, while employing a total
number of 1.5 lakh engineers.

Bangalore , which commenced its R&D activities in 1986 when Texas
Instruments set up its product engineering centre here, is currently
home to the who's who of the global tech fraternity .

The recent recession in the US also forced most corporates there to
move thousands of jobs to India in addition to tech giants such as
Cisco, Intel, IBM, Oracle and i2 relocating some of their Indian-origin
employees from the US centres to Bangalore.

Indian tech workers also returned home in large numbers as jobs dried
up in the US  ( Will Bangalore become the centre of IT entrepreneurship
as Silicon Valley? )

<more>