Giant Sucking Sound

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Tue Jan 6 12:30:24 PST 2004

On Jan 6, 2004, at 12:20 PM, jbone at place.org wrote:

> Nah, the U.S. is in GREAT shape!  Our primary exports --- software
> know-how and culture --- will *never* be overtaken.  Er, waitasec:
> we've killed the culture export market by being global dickheads, and
> now...  (BTW, yes this was /. --- but this is for the archive.)

Lets not forget that the dollar fell another 1% today. And yes that
DOES mean everyone took another 1% pay cut relative to the other 95% of
humans on the planet, on top of the rapidly falling wages. They need to
redesign the dollar bill so it works better as cheap toilet paper.

I for one (of many) have basically given up completely looking for jobs
in the geek world. People won't pay for software packages when open
source exists, and lets face it "customization" jobs really are best
off outshored, let someone else be bored. The usual
beginning-of-quarter hiring frenzy was slow last quarter, and you can
hear the crickets this quarter. The jobs I have heard about you're
frankly bidding against people making 5$/hr, so even if you did win,
you've lost. The best you can hope for is a job where you don't want to
jump off a bridge more then a few times a day as you watch all your
assets devalue.

Geeks are the new stable masters, and the car is here.

I'm hoping to get more into the biotech/bioinformatics world, but I
think we may have already lost that battle to Europe and Asia before we
even started since the fundamentalist christians have outlawed most of
the useful research, and other countries are already geared up.

Even if Bush does somehow mixup the vote rigging and lose, too many
things are already in motion - the USA is screwed.

- Adam L. Beberg - beberg at mithral.com
   http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/