Howard Dean's Lies

Ian Andrew Bell fork at ianbell.com
Wed Jan 7 09:31:01 PST 2004

I love this:  Big Lies?

- Osama Bin Laden should be presumed innocent

Allowing for the author's penchant for hyperbole, isn't the concept of
"Innocent until proven guilty" a fundamental tenet of the US
Constitution?  All Howard Dean has said is that Osama Bin Laden should
be put on trial.  What on earth could be unreasonable about that?

- Liberating 25 million Iraqis was wrong

Um, okay... how "liberated" do Iraqis feel today, 8 months after the
war supposedly ended?  I think they feel as though they've shed one
feudal lord for another.  They've replaced a native-born dictator with
an unelected governing council and an American administrator.   Nice
work, guys.

- Saddam's capture doesn't make any difference

Oh, so is the conflict suddenly ended now that he's captured?  I still
see a lot of death and destruction over there.

- Bush knew in advance about the Sept. 11 attacks

Well, this has pretty-much been rationalized now.

- The Global War On Terror has been a failure

So Libya, which hasn't been directly responsible for an act of terror
in 19 years and which wants to trade with the EU, has done a mea culpa.
  Short of that, given the definition of Terrorism (inciting fear to
political effect) I think Americans are a lot more scared than ever
before.  There's been no demonstrable decline in the threat, and
Terrorist Number One is still hanging out in the desert somewhere
sitting on billions of dollars.  I guess this is progress?

- The economy's a disaster

Hey, the Canadian Dollar has outperformed the US Dollar by 20% over the
past 6 months, its value has returned to that which it held during the
LAST Bush regime.  Next issue.

-  The administration is hiding terrible secrets

28 pages of the September 11 Commission report have been blacked out.
And of course, there remain more questions than answers.  The Bush
folks won't answer fundamental questions about why they never responded
to the deluge of specific information, a casual inquiry into any of
which could have led to a fundamental understanding of what was about
to happen on 9/11.  So yeah, maybe they are.

I'm no Leftie, but I do know a journalistic hack when I read one.
Ralph Peters is most definitely it.  Howard Dean is just asking
questions.  So is the rest of the world.

-Ian.

On 7-Jan-04, at 7:00 AM, Owen Byrne wrote:

> http://nypost.com/seven/01052004/postopinion/opedcolumnists/4965.htm
>
>> HOWARD THE COWARD
>> By RALPH PETERS
>> --