Billionaires For Bush..

Lucas Gonze lgonze at panix.com
Wed Jan 7 10:42:21 PST 2004

On Wednesday, Jan 7, 2004, at 12:57 America/New_York, Gordon Mohr wrote:
> Criticism of the "Bush==Nazi" rhetoric is not censorship, it's
> accurate feedback about what levels of hyperbole will and won't
> fly. You, MoveOn, and others can ignore this feedback at your
> own risk. Don't worry, though: the penalty for misjudging the
> debate isn't legal persecution, just electoral defeat.

The penalty for misjudging the debate isn't electoral defeat, it's bad
government.  The horse race is secondary.  You're viewing the campaign
through the lens of 80s-90s Democratic politics.

That party is on its way to being defunct, and good riddance.  What's
up next?  How do we get there?  I don't know another way than to say
out loud what I see in front of my eyes: a crisis of bad government.
That's what we're up against.

On the horse race angle, the ground has clearly shifted.  Democratic
voters are hot to punish Ken dolls like Kerry and Gephardt.  Whether to
punish them is not in question anymore.  As far as the effectiveness of
hot rhetoric like Bush==Nazi, the voters let it pass when it comes from
the right and they'll let it pass when it comes from the left.