[Fwd: Re: NYTimes.com Article: Bush Would Give Illegal Workers Broad New Rights]

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Wed Jan 7 15:18:01 PST 2004

I'm in favor of letting anyone that doesn't have a criminal history with the US (known drug dealers, terrorists, etc) come to the US, live, and work legally. I'd rather they be able to come here and make minimum wage or better than all of our jobs moving to those countries and paying them pennies. If they can easily move here then they are less likely to work for crap money in their own country. It's denying immigrants legal entry that is making so many people move here illegally and take low paying jobs (still better than what they'd make at home). The ony way to stop illegal immigration is to either make it legal or make life in this country worse than where they are coming from.

I might support requiring immigrants to move to less densely populated areas of the country for a given number of years. There is plenty of space here but people tend to clump together in areas that are already highly populated.