[Fwd: Re: NYTimes.com Article: Bush Would Give Illegal Workers Broad New Rights]

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jan 7 15:48:16 PST 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 05:33:13PM -0600, Adam L Beberg wrote:

> >I might support requiring immigrants to move to less densely populated
> >areas of the country for a given number of years.
>
> No No No! We have too much sprawl already. The agricultural dept
> already predicts we will have destroyed so much land by 2020 that the
> the US will have to import food. From WHERE I have no idea.

A population pool as small as 2 GPeople will generate way more willing than
US (or anybody else) could absorb. The numbers are really quite astonishing; nothing we've been
so far familiar with.

It is interesting what these large (alas, no more where these came from)
populations pools will output, once they get up to speed.

2020? Suburbia is not irreversible; diets can be shifted to less animal
protein; 16 years hence should have the beginnings of an energy glut due to
cheap polymer/organic photovoltaics.