[Fwd: Re: NYTimes.com Article: Bush Would Give Illegal Workers Broad New Rights]

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Wed Jan 7 17:06:36 PST 2004

> No No No! We have too much sprawl already. The agricultural dept
> already predicts we will have destroyed so much land by 2020 that the
> the US will have to import food. From WHERE I have no idea.

I really find that hard to believe given I've lived most my life in
rural America where the government actively pays farmers not to plant
the full amount of crops they could. Also technology such as hydroponics
would  easily allow food to be grown more productively if farmers felt
like investing the money into it. Also I find it hard to believe that
using the land for housing would be more destructive than say parking
old cars on it and letting them rot.