[Fwd: Re: NYTimes.com Article: Bush Would Give Illegal Workers Broad New Rights]

Gregory Alan Bolcer gbolcer at endeavors.com
Wed Jan 7 17:52:06 PST 2004

Michael wrote:

> Also technology such as hydroponics
> would  easily allow food to be grown more productively if farmers felt
> like investing the money into it.

I remember salmon farming was going to change the world through similar
to how people claim that healthy, vitamin maintained, artificial
light plants can grow the same quality and amount of food in an
inert medium.

Quoting Peter Drucker in his October 1999 Atlantic Monthly
article, http://www.welchco.com/02/14/01/60/99/10/0102.HTM
     Twenty-five years ago salmon was a delicacy. The typical
     convention dinner gave a choice between chicken and beef.
     Today salmon is a commodity, and is the other choice on
     the convention menu. Most salmon today is not caught at sea or
     in a river but grown on a fish farm. The same is increasingly
     true of trout. Soon, apparently, it will be true of a number
     of other fish. Flounder, for instance, which is to seafood what
     pork is to meat, is just going into oceanic mass production.
     This will no doubt lead to the genetic development of new
     and different fish, just as the domestication of sheep, cows,
     and chickens led to the development of new breeds among them.
     But probably a dozen or so technologies are at the stage
     where biotechnology was twenty-five years ago -- that
     is, ready to emerge.

So, we've optimized the Salmon producing process using the latest
and greatest biotechnology.  What has it gotten us?  Let me recap:
    o Farm salmon is grown off of overcrowded docks and wild salmon
      is near extinct as a commercial venture
    o They are hand fed with processed, vitamin enriched meal, like
      chickens (ooo, tastes like chicken?)
    o They are relatively tasteless (sort of like feeding an escargot
       11 days of grain meal), their flesh is fatty and loose, their tone
       is gray and companies have to die them with orange and pink
       coloring to make them attractive to consumers.

Maybe in 10 years we'll all be eaty greasy, tastless, gray tofu.

Greg