[Fwd: Re: NYTimes.com Article: Bush Would Give Illegal Workers Broad New Rights]

Meltsner, Kenneth Kenneth.Meltsner at ca.com
Thu Jan 8 09:40:27 PST 2004

Farm-raised "seafood" is one of the latest import tariff cases as well
-- American shrimp companies are complaining that foreign, pond-raised
shrimp are being dumped on the market.  Now, why we don't have more
shrimp aquaculture, I don't know -- perhaps they're all growing salmon
instead.

"Wild" food is becoming scarce everywhere, in part because previous
exploitation was too efficient and didn't allow fish/shrimp populations
to grow back.  Worst of all is orange roughie, a deepsea fish that grows
incredibly slowly.  In the last decade, fishermen have harvested the
equivalent 5-10x that in growth.

It's the same thing that happened with various wood species -- Cuban
mahogany, Port Orford cedar, Lebanon cedar, teak, etc. have all been
nearly wiped out, with only commercially farmed varieties still
available, if at all.

Ken "Time for a shrimp and salmon stirfry" Meltsner