fish farms

Gregory Alan Bolcer gbolcer at endeavors.com
Fri Jan 9 12:19:54 PST 2004

Dave Long wrote:

> There was an article in Nature about
> a month or so back that claimed that
> the problem with salmon farming lies
> in salmon being carnivores.

It's funny there's so much debate about Salmon recently.  I just
find the orange-pink die offensive, but it turns out there's a whole
variety of criticisms.   I love salmon sashimi.

This article states that for some reason, PCBs, one of
more than a "dirty dozen" other chemical contaminants
eliminated under the treaty on persistent organic pollutants
(mostly linked to cancer and impaired fetal brain development)
are higher in farmed salmon than in wild salmon.  How that
exactly happens is confusing, but the EPA suggests reducing
consumption of farmed ones over wild ones.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=97&u=/hsn/20040109/hl_hsn/toxinsinfarmraisedsalmonposehealthrisk&printer=1

Greg