Fwd: Lego to Stop Producing Mindstorms

Luis Villa louie at ximian.com
Sat Jan 10 22:13:45 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 00:52, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
> Damn it. Damn damn damn.

No loss here. The one I bought in late 1998 is virtually the exact same
product you can still buy now, in 2004, which says something. Lego, as
an electronics company, was a total failure. This probably isn't too
surprising, in hindsight- they never understood their market at all, and
their primary product has stayed exactly the same for the past 40+
years. Those habits will get you killed in electronics- people expect
change and improvement, and frankly, there is no engineering reason for
that not to happen, especially when the first units were so close to
being really cool, and yet far enough from cool to drive both the
children (the intended market) and the adults (the actual market)
insane.

I do hope someone picks up the idea and runs with it- Lego as a
mechanical engineering platform is decently robust, and it's the
ultimate open spec- anyone with a good ruler and high-quality plastics
plant can interoperate. They just need someone who understands both the
children and the adults who bought mindstorms better to do engineering
and product design than Lego did, which shouldn't be hard, given how
abysmal Lego's work in both those departments were with the mindstorms.

Luis