Inpenetrable, useless customer support: eBay is lame

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Jan 13 13:18:06 PST 2004

An eBay representative named "Karen" (no full name, no phone number, no
email address; intelligence agency officials are less obscure with their
identities than CSR representatives deathly afraid that someone might
really want to solve a problem in more than one conversation) called me
back.  She mentioned that they instituted some "email verification" step
last summer that might be sensitive to delays or something.  They
suggest that people just "change their email addresses" to some thing
that works, like AOL or MSN.  They have recieved a lot of complaints
from "people who set up their own email service".  How dare they!
Outside the establishment!  In other words, they have added a
non-published requirement to the protocol that is incompatible with
standard MTAs.  And no, she couldn't escalate or in any way contact the
developers, although she did mention that there was an eBay deveoper
program...

How convenient.

I pointed out that I function essentially as an ISP with other users and
support other ISPs.  She said it had been a problem that they've heard of.

I'm all for anti-spam measures, but you have to be willing to debug them
when they break.

sdw

--
swilliams at hpti.com http://www.hpti.com Personal: sdw at lig.net http://sdw.st