wtf

Owen Byrne owen at permafrost.net
Thu Jan 15 09:48:50 PST 2004

Lucas Gonze wrote:

> On Thursday, Jan 15, 2004, at 11:52 America/New_York, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 11:17:27AM -0500, Lucas Gonze wrote:
>>
>>> Gas prices have been sky high for a couple years now. When I bought my
>>> first car in a few years about a year and a half ago, gas was already
>>> above $1.50 a gallon.
>>

>> Don't be silly. Diesel is 3.3 EUR/gallon now, and gas something like 5
>> EUR/gallon. It is cheap, at least compared to insurance and tax.
>

> Not sure what argument you're making, Eugen.
>
> Yes, gas prices in europe are higher, like they always have been. In
> the US gas prices averaging $1.75 are *very* high. Before the past few
> years I had only seen prices this high for short periods. Prices
> spiked after 9/11 and never went down.
>
> Hmm, follow me for a minute here. The present administration is in bed
> with the oil industry. Gas prices are strikingly high, but are not a
> topic on talk radio. There's no explanation with enough consensus
> behind it to show up in a few minutes of Googling.
>
> Manufactured crisis #2, anybody? Fastow got ten years yesterday...

Hmm. Perhaps no consensus because there are lots of causes. The dollar,
cold weather, the fact that cheap oil from Iraq is going to be a while
coming.
The first google news hit I got suggests that an ethanol shortage is
affecting California.
Owen

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/business/20040113-9999_1b13gas.html