Bin Laden Comes Clean, War On Terror Continues

Lucas Gonze lgonze at panix.com
Thu Jan 15 11:08:57 PST 2004

On Thursday, Jan 15, 2004, at 13:44 America/New_York, Gordon Mohr wrote:

> Lucas Gonze wrote:
>> There's no need to sweep those real deaths, that real tragedy, under
>> the rug in order to not buy the Bush version of events.  Those people
>> died, and they died horribly.  That doesn't mean that Osama bin Laden
>> is a real threat.
>
> Who do you think carried off the attacks? I think it was Bin Laden's
> group. There are other groups that wish they could have done so, and
> would if they could. That makes Bin Laden's group (and similar groups)
> a real threat of similar attacks until they are neutralized.

I don't think there's any credible counter-evidence that Al Quaeda
didn't do it.  But that doesn't mean that Al Quaeda still matters.  In
fact I don't think they are the biggest threat.  The biggest threat is
our own stupid blundering in the Middle East, making every enemy we can
and pissing off every potential ally.  What were we thinking when we
made the democrats in Turkey look bad?  What good did it do to cozy up
to the nutballs in Israel instead of the sane folks?

By the way, calling this "Bin Laden" and "Saddam" obscures the issues.
The news media needs a clean narrative, so they have to personify
events, but the real action is about masses of people,
tribes/nations/cultures, not those two guys.  We didn't invade Saddam,
we invaded Iraq.  Bin Laden didn't kill 3,000 Bush's, he killed 3,000
individuals.

> > The question is how can we best defend ourselves.
>
> Agreed, and it's a serious question. Suicide-attack terrorists
> are not imaginary boogeymen who will can defeated by ignoring
> them.

Terrorists do little physical damage and lot of mental damage.  That's
why they're "terror"-ists.  Of course bogeymen are important tools for
both sides.  The physical damage is spread out, less visible, but much
more important.  How many Americans died fighting in Iraq?  Did the WTC
lead to worse health care?  More drug addiction?  Those are the things
that matter.

>> Let me say, also, that claiming the victims of 9/11 for the cause of
>> right wing politics is a shameful thing.
>
> No one can "claim" them. But the "cause" the memory of that event
> should
> advance is seriousness -- even as the march of time makes it easier and
> easier to blur the event into a hazy myth.

They died for somebody else's cause already.  And they were not
Republicans, so don't make them get drafted twice.  Let them have
dignity.

Whatever the cause is, it doesn't include members of the living
grubbing all over those poor people.