Bin Laden Comes Clean, War On Terror Continues

Owen Byrne owen at permafrost.net
Fri Jan 16 14:01:02 PST 2004

> That assertion is debatable (but don't bother debating it with me
> cause I really don't want to play). UbL grossly miscalculated the US
> response to WTC probably because he viewed the US as a paper tiger.
> Some unpredictability is not necessarily a bad thing (tho it comes
> with a whole host of dangers).
>
> Bill

Well - I've heard this before - I am just curious - why not say that he
believed the US would overreact, creating more support for his own
cause, increasing instability in the Middle East while taking on
commitments that would stretch it thin and create further targets for
terrorism.. That actually seems like a much more reasonable position for
UbL to hold. I can't see any semi-intelligent Arab viewing the US as a
paper tiger after Gulf War 1. Calling them one however fits well with
this strategy.

It is possible that he grossly miscalculated the extent of the US
overreaction.But I think he's probably pretty damn happy about the state
of affairs right now.

Owen