[FoRK] Solar power

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Feb 9 03:18:40 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 07:51:37PM -0800, Elias Sinderson wrote:
> Do any of you FoRKers have experience with small solar power systems?

I have the opposite problem: are any of you living off the grid? I'm looking
into winter garden, solarthermics, photovoltaics, augmented by a wood stove
(or oil; liquefied gas gas). I don't find lead/acid batteries too sexy, so
there's a need for a small generator for night/spike use. Internal house grid
could be 12 or 24 V, with a few inverters strewn in between. If it wasn't for
washing machine and cooking, the power requirements would be pretty low.

I'm thinking about buying a piece of land off the grid, and build a
well-insulated house (with proper ventilation/heat exchange, of course) with
photovoltaics integrated into the facade and solar collectors into the roof
(which will be probably grass, though that's just a lark).

Phone could be cellular, Internet connection either long-haul WiFi or
satellite.

So far, this is largely a dream. I need to crunch the numbers, to figure out
whether it's stillborn.

> I'm in the process of designing one for my camp to use at Burning Man...
> Minimal load - a car stereo for music, a misting system and a couple of
> fans during the day and LED lighting at night.

I'm seeing first drop-in LED substitutes for halogen lights -- of course much
too expensive yet.