[FoRK] Solar power

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 9 09:29:25 PST 2004

Eugen Leitl:
>LED and fluorescents should be good for several days on battery charge
>alone, if no other sources are draining the battery.

So you're planning on a battery, or actually,
several. So now the questions are: How many?
What kind? How big? Rather than having a
battery for the lights, and another for the PC,
and yet another for something else, I think
you'll find it's simpler just to have one house
bank.

Quite simply, lead acid batteries are *still* the
cheapest for useful amp-hour stored. If you
want maintenance free, get some sealed, AGM
batteries. Two group 29 deep-cycle batteries
will store two-hundred amp-hours for a 12V
system, i.e., a couple thousand watt-hours. In
addition to lights, you'll be able to run your
PC and recharge your cell phone, so that
when your generator is on the fritz, you can
find the number of the guy who fixes it, and
give him a call. ;-)

>Unfortunately, you can't buy water electrolysis systems/hydrogen pressure
>tank for home use yet, so I can't store the big oversupply.

Certainly not if you rule out the most
economical battery technology of the day,
just because it's not sexy.