[FoRK] The Problem with "Libruhls"

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Mon Feb 9 11:14:56 PST 2004

Lucas says:

"Conservatism is held together by the common belief that beating people
up has intrinsic value, that's it's worth doing for its own sake, and
that every day should bring a new scapegoat.  If there are no murderers
find a robber, and if there are no robbers find a nose picker, but find
somebody."

--

One of the best contrasts of "conservative" (using that term loosely to
mean the self-identified "core values" crowd, not an identifiable and

Another great point I've heard made is that "conservatives" are
past-focused ("remember the Good Old Days;  things have sure gone down
the toilet since then" etc.) and change-averse (when that change is
anything other than retrograde) while "liberals" are future-focused and
change-accepting.

I don't know how useful any of this is --- freakin' labels --- but all
of the above sure does resonate well with the intuitive sense of what
is meant when somebody applies one of these labels.

jb