[FoRK] And the fat lady sings...

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Tue Feb 10 11:19:38 PST 2004

No color commentary needed...

--

	http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=765&ncid=762&e=11&u=/
nm/20040210/people_nm/campaign_bush_oreilly_dc

Pundit O'Reilly Now Skeptical About Bush
Reuters
Tue Feb 10, 9:25 AM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Conservative television news anchor Bill
O'Reilly said on Tuesday he was now skeptical about the Bush
administration and apologized to viewers for supporting prewar claims
that Iraq (news - web sites) had weapons of mass destruction.

The anchor of his own show on Fox News said he was sorry he gave the
U.S. government the benefit of the doubt that former Iraqi leader
Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s weapons program poised an imminent
threat, the main reason cited for going to war.

"I was wrong. I am not pleased about it at all and I think all
Americans should be concerned about this," O'Reilly said in an
interview with ABC's "Good Morning America."

"What do you want me to do, go over and kiss the camera?" asked
O'Reilly, who had promised rival ABC last year he would publicly
apologize if weapons were not found.

O'Reilly said he was "much more skeptical about the Bush administration
now" since former weapons inspector David Kay said he did not think
Saddam had any weapons of mass destruction.

While critical of President Bush (news - web sites), O'Reilly said he
did not think the president intentionally lied. Rather, O'Reilly blamed
CIA (news - web sites) Director George Tenet, who was appointed by
former President Bill Clinton (news - web sites).

"I don't know why Tenet still has his job."

He added: "I think every American should be very concerned for
themselves that our intelligence is not as good as it should be."

O'Reilly anticipated the presidential election would be a close race,
adding he thought Democratic front-runner Sen. John Kerry (news - web
sites) of Massachusetts would be a formidable opponent against Bush.

"It will be a very close race. The nation is divided," he said.