[FoRK] NYTimes.com Article: New Germ Labs Stir Debate Over Secrecy and Safety

Justin Mason jm at jmason.org
Wed Feb 11 12:29:07 PST 2004

khare at alumni.caltech.edu writes:
>This article from NYTimes.com
>has been sent to you by khare at alumni.caltech.edu.
>

>fascinating... I guess I'm only going to be surprised if the gov't installs an _Andromeda Strain_ style biolab with a built-in nuclear self-destruct :-)

Let's hope they don't waste money on laser-wielding robots in
a big central chimney ;)

Overall, it's a strange article.

One the one hand, it discusses floods of federal money to build these
labs, and covers them comprehensively.  One the other, it only vaguely
touches on the number of researchers who've abandoned the field due to the
risks of jail time if they fail to abide by the (reportedly byzantine) new
regulations.   Reads like two articles kluged into one...

- --j.