[FoRK] Solar power hits suburbia (Christian Science Monitor)

Sandor Spruit sandor at cs.uu.nl
Thu Feb 12 04:14:38 PST 2004

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> The US is used to unreflectedly assume it's having technological lead
> everywhere. While this is (still) generally true, other places lead in
> several areas, and it is the US that's trailing behind.
>
> Renewable energies is one of such areas. In some places in the EU there are
> specific state-wide programs for financial support (insulation, solarthermics
> and photovoltaics). Local providers are required by law to buy renewable
> power from small-scale producers at favorable rates. There are a lot of small
> companies selling and installing solar heat and power.

Yup. I know some examples, litterally around the corner, of projects
where some new 'energy balanced' houses were built a couple of years
ago. They supposedly give as much to the grid as the take from it. The
entire neighbourhood comes with solar cells on the roof, by default.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is one of the larger 'solar projects' in Europe.

Sandor

--
Information and Computing Sciences, Utrecht University
Contact information, see: http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/sandor/