[FoRK] Rambus European patent revoked

Dr. Robert J. Harley harley at argote.ch
Thu Feb 12 13:27:45 PST 2004

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14123

A EUROPEAN PATENT that Rambus was awarded has been revoked by the authorities.

The authorities don't give the reason, but it follows a complaint from
a whole batch of memory companies including Micron, Hynix and
Infineon.

All these companies were or are involved in litigation with Rambus.

The patent, EP 0 525 068 was granted Rambus in four member states of
what is now the European Patent Organisation in France, in Germany, in
the UK and in Italy.

The patent was maintained in amendment form, but appeals against
granting it were lodged between December 2002 and February 2003.

The news had a drastic effect on the RMBS share price, whioch stood at
$24.15 as we wrote this story, down a precipitous $5.46 on the day. µ