[FoRK] Re: nb: politics ~= religion

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Thu Feb 12 21:52:43 PST 2004

On Feb 12, 2004, at 11:31 PM, jbone at place.org wrote:

>>  > Second, regardless of that, in today's context religion is much
>> more
>> political and politics is much more religious than, you might argue,
>> it
>> was in Jefferson's day.

Reparsing what I said, it's clear that I didn't express the hypothesis
very clearly.  Clear as mud, my bad.  ;-)

For lack of a clearly better way to express what I was trying to
express, I'll just cede Joe's point while while offering the following
opinion.  Jefferson's words are applicable to belief in general.
Whether the belief in question gets stuck in the "politics" bucket or
the "religion" bucket is of essentially no consequence.

That is, when he says "To compel a man to furnish contributions of
money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors,
is sinful and tyrannical" --- even though the context is a discussion
of religious freedom, given the larger context of Jefferson's life, is
there any good reason to think he would've disagreed had the word
"political" been inserted before "opinion?"  I seriously doubt it, but
that's just my opinion.

jb