[FoRK] KnowNow gets reviewed

Lucas Gonze lgonze at panix.com
Wed Feb 18 11:10:23 PST 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Meltsner, Kenneth wrote:

> In so far as RSS is used to bundle up items into a vaguely time-based
> sequence, I suppose RSS is good for distributing event information.

What strikes me about it is the way it's been defined by usage, throwing
mud at the wall with real world applications.  So you have these patterns
-- pull instead of push, sloppiness of feeds, caching and invalidation,
pressure to include advertising -- that are known to be important.

> Might be useful, though, to look at the heavy-duty XML event spec --
> IBM's Common Base Event spec -- which has lots of taxonomic goodness to
> simplify the interpretation of the events after you collect them.
>
> http://xml.coverpages.org/xmlPapers200308.html#IBM-CBEvent

Hmmmm.  Good pointer, Kenneth.

- Lucas