[FoRK] Malthusiasm

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 25 20:15:13 PST 2004

Jeff Bone:
>Between Hubbert's Peak and this, I don't know what to think.  Ugh.  I'm
>not typically all that pessimistic about the future -- but it's looking
>darker and stormier all the time.

Consider this possibility: both the pessimists and the
optimists are right. Oil will peak. Oil prices will go
high. It will cause economic problems, conservation,
shift to alternative energy sources, and eventually
entire new energy technologies, such as organic
photovoltaics. And eventually oil gets cheap again,
because no one any longer burns it for energy,
except for a few sailors and backpackers who cook
with kerosene or propane.

Whale oil got pretty expensive for a few years,
when whales were hunted into scarcity. But yet
we're here, and civilization thrived, and no one
hardly wonders about the change-over.

Still, I'm going to invest in energy for the next
little bit. That's as sure a sign as any that oil will
be $24/bbl in a year. :P