[FoRK] John Robb on why Presidents matter economically

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Thu Feb 26 11:24:29 PST 2004

JR:

	http://jrobb.mindplex.org/2004/02/26.html#a4342

>  This reporter [1] doesn't think Presidents matter when it comes to
> the economy.  He looks at the economy as a mechanistic thing that
> operates outside of politics.  How wrong that is.  The economy is
> driven by psychology.  Optimism and confidence breeds investment in
> the future.  This in turn creates growth, jobs, and wealth.  Bush
> clearly hasn't inspired that confidence in the future (and the economy
> reflects this).  Reagan and Clinton did inspire confidence despite all
> of their faults.  Presidents matter.

+1.  I've been saying this all along.  The economy drowns out in the
actions of individual consumers;  this is why consumer confidence is
IMHO the most underutilized metric in economic modeling.  We assume
that actors are rational --- but they're only rational on some kind of
average basis, and as a group "we're" capable of massive irrational
group-think.  (Cf. The Bubble. ;-)

And this very thing, IMHO, is responsible for the fact that you're 6x
(based on last 35ish years of precedent) more likely for any given day
to be recessionary under a GOP president than a Democratic president.
Simple reason:  "conservatives" tend to peddle FUD more aggressively
and more effectively.*  When a GOP executive has the bully pulpit,
people spend more time in "fear" mode than "greed" mode.  Fear is
counterproductive;  greed is productive.  History reflects this in our
cycles of recession.

* Both try;  the GOP is more effective.  Give me ineffective
Presidents.  Please.  ;-)

$0.02,

jb

[1] http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3560-2004Feb24.html