[FoRK] What Is Human? Ugh...

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Thu Feb 26 11:49:36 PST 2004

> Down that slippery slope on a 'toe sack...
>
> Note the implication:
>
> > The Unborn Victims of Violence Act was approved 254-163 after the
> > House rejected a Democratic-led alternative that would have increased
> > penalties for those attacking a pregnant woman but continue to regard
> > the offense as perpetrated on one victim.

I always thought the English (and American) Common Law definition used
for such purposes was a fine compromise (a fetus is not a victim until
the "quickening" -- approximately 5 months).  Then some very bored
individuals in the 20th century had to stir the pot for no particularly
good reason and with no possibility of a truly satisfactory outcome.  As
though we don't have better things to spend resources on.  Useless monkeys.

--
J. Andrew Rogers