[FoRK] You heard it here first, re: Bubble Fusion

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Wed Mar 3 07:50:13 PST 2004

On Mar 3, 2004, at 6:29 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

>> The most consistent theories of the origin of sonoluminescent
>> phenomena
>> are based in so-called stochastic electrodynamics --- which provides
>> an
>> alternative to both QED and GR.  Hmmm.
>
> Where does stochastic electrodynamics deviate from QED/GR?

I should've said "potentially provides..."  There's some rather fringe
but nonetheless thought-provoking work in SED being done which
interprets inertia, mass, and gravity in terms of the electrodynamic
effects of a Lorentz-invariant universal zero-point field.  (Puthoff,
etc. --- riffing on Sakharov, I believe.)  [1]  The net-net is that
this work in toto paints an almost neo-classical picture, one where you
can have GR-like effects without interpreting gravity vis-a-vis the
spacetime metric, where you get quantum effects w/o the strictest
interpretations of uncertainty, where you don't need the Higgs boson,
etc.

What brought this to mind is that --- loopy though it may be --- this
work seems to be quite successful at explaining e.g. sonoluminescent
phenomena and other cavitation effects in terms of a Casimir-like
"pinching" force from the zero-point field.

I'm not endorsing this POV at all.  Just pointing it out.

jb

[1] http://www.earthtech.org/publications/index.html