[FoRK] Web access to my IMAP mail server

Chris Olds colds at dydax.com
Fri Mar 5 01:02:43 PST 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Elias Sinderson wrote:

> Ian Andrew Bell wrote:
> > [...] You should just get geekmail.  :)
> > Barring that option, try HORDE/IMP.
>
> Ah yes, geekmail... but can I yank out the hot swap disks and vigorously
> smash them with an obscenely large magnet when the feds are at my front
> door? You see, there's something very satisfying about having your own
> server(s) in your own crawlspace...  :-)

Amen to that!

> So, SquirrelMail and HORDE/IMP were both been mentioned, but I have yet
> to see a good comparison of their respective features. BTW, is this it,
> or are they simply the frontrunners in this area? I can't seem to find
> much more on the web, but I'll readily admit to not digging very deeply.
> If no such thing exists, I'll probably set them both up and write up the
> comparison myself...

I'd like to see that; if you hadn't specified IMAP, I'd have suggested
OpenWebmail; it's packaged in Debian, so it'd be trivial for you to
install. I use it for my kids email accounts (and for myself, when I'm not
at home), but it expects to be able to get to your mbox and manage your
mail folders. My initial reason for choosing it was that it's the only
webmail program I could find that's NOT in php (it's in Perl); subsequent
use has made me a very satisfied user.

	/cco