[FoRK] Outlawing dissent: COINTELPRO resurgence

J.Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Sun Mar 7 21:15:20 PST 2004

On Mar 7, 2004, at 8:42 PM, jbone at place.org wrote:

> There was a recent NOW bit re: trends in domestic spying... prompted
> me to hunt around a bit, found this --- essentially the same gist.

Yeah, domestic spying has been going on as long as any of us have been
alive.  Every now and then they get caught doing something stupid, make
all the right noises and promise that they'll stop, and then go back to
doing what they've always done.

Assume the government knows just everything about you and what you do,
since that is pretty close to the truth.  Short of making an incredible
effort to obscure your electronic data collection tracks, which would
pretty much limit what you can do with your life, they can and do mine
the aggregate of commercial and government databases.  The integration
and data mining project of this nature that I worked on briefly in the
mid-90s included over a thousand different commercial and government
databases.  There is a lot of electronic footprints out there and good
software for collating and correlating it, enough that they can put
your life under a microscope without ever watching you directly.

Not that this is news to anyone here, though I don't know if people
appreciate just how many different sources "they" actually watch and
aggregate by default.  They only put people on it if you are a "person
of interest".

j. andrew rogers