[FoRK] Tuesday Lunch Special in Senate Dining Room: Filet of Tenet

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Tue Mar 9 13:38:36 PST 2004

"We'll be serving a spicy red spin-crusted filet of free-range
what-me-worry Tenet with wild baby irrationality mushrooms and lying
capers in a delusion-scented incompetence pearl onion coulis, stacked
on obsessive garlic potato mashers and topped with tobacco
smoke-up-your-ass onion rings, alongside a cool, lemon-zesty
inconsistency vendetta cabbage slaw.  Denial pie for dessert."

Waitasec, wasn't he supposed to be the fall guy?  Heh.

jb

--

	http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43100-2004Mar9.html

Tenet: Administration Did Not 'Misrepresent' Iraq Intelligence
CIA Director Answers Tough Questions Posed By Sen. Kennedy

By Dana Priest
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 9, 2004; 1:56 PM

CIA director George Tenet said today that he did not believe the
administration had "misrepresented" intelligence about Iraq leading up
to the war and that he privately corrected officials when he disagreed
with what they were saying.

In a sometimes contentious hearing before the Senate Armed Service
Committee, Tenet defended the administration's description of Iraqi
threats against charges that President Bush and Vice President Cheney,
in particular, exaggerated the threat and did not tell the American
people that some of intelligence assessments included significant
caveats or were disputed by some intelligence agencies.

Asked by Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) whether he believed the
administration had misrepresented the intelligence on Iraq, Tenet
answered: "No sir, I don't."

When Kennedy pressed the director about whether he had an obligation to
stand up to policymakers when they were wrong, Tenet shot back: "I'm
not going to sit here and tell you what my interaction was" with the
president. "When I believed someone was misconstruing intelligence, I
stood up and said something about it."

Tenet added that sometimes language used by policymakers in public
"doesn't uniquely comport" word for word, with the complex, more
nuanced intelligence community language. ". . . I lived up to my
responsibility," he said.

Other Democratic members of the committee questioned why Tenet would
not have made his disagreements known publicly. "I don't do my job that
way," he countered. "If I believed something needs to be corrected, I
go correct it."

Tenet said he could recall two instances in which he privately
corrected administration officials. One involved a statement by Cheney
and others that Iraq sought uranium oxide for nuclear weapons from
Niger, a claim U.S. intelligence officials believed was not based on
sound information. The other involved the certainty expressed by
President Bush, Secretary of State Colin L. Powell and others over
whether certain vans found in Iraq were used to produce and move around
biological weapons.

"In the end, he is not their keeper," said Sen. John Warner (R-Va.),
chairman of the committee, speaking about Tenet's responsibility vis a
vis the administration.

Much of Tenet's testimony before the committee mirror the worldwide
threat assessment he gave members of the Senate Select Committee on
Intelligence two weeks ago. Tenet testified today with the director of
the Defense Intelligence Agency, Vice. Adm Lowell Jacoby.