[FoRK] Gibson's movie, Christianity-themed books, etc. was re: Coulter: Muslims smell bad

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Wed Mar 10 21:03:35 PST 2004

RT:

> Most
> secular people I know simply have no interest
> in the movie, and if they express any attitude,
> it is bemusement that it has made such
> headlines and made Gibson so much money.

I'm interested enough to queue it up for NetFlix.  No way I'm going to
brave the xian hordes at the theater to see it on the screen, though.
;-)  I think I might suffocate cooped up with all that earnest
self-righteousness. :-)

And I don't know whether "bemusement" or "amusement" better
characterizes my reaction to the reception the movie's getting.  I
waffle on that dimension.  Hey, if people want to see a story that's
been done to death (no pun intended ;-) umpteen times before --- but in
two dead languages they don't speak --- that's all cool w/ me.  We need
more interest in Latin --- maybe a little more clarity on various
etymological issues might help people, uh, talk purtier Amurcun.  Or
something. ;-)  And if people want to spend $12.95 for a rusty nail on
a leather thong (no, not that kind, stop it) --- hey, that's a market
opportunity I'd happily have filled if I'd thought of it first. :-)

I just think they should've sexed it up a little, broadened its appeal
even more.  More dirty titty.  Give the main dude a love interest --- I
mean, punch up that whole "Magdalene" storyline:  sweaty encounter by
the well, etc.  Clean them all up some, give 'em some flashier outfits
--- whoever the production designer was, I mean, fire her --- they need
"Queer Eye for the Passion of Christ Movie" girlfriend, you know it.
Maybe a little bit more homosexual tension between some of the
apostles.  And maybe give the Romans, like, laser swords or something.
More special effects when that Yeshua dude was casting spells and shit.
  You know.  Maybe in the director's cut...

Admission:  this secular guy has a complex fascination w/ religion,
this one in particular.  Seems like a good time as any:  some of my
favorite books related to the whole thing:

* Letters from the Earth (Twain)
* The Screwtape Letters (C.S. Lewis)
* To Reign in Hell (Stephen Brust)
* Job:  a Comedy of Errors (Heinlein)
* Earthly Remains (Peter Hernon)
* The Last Temptation of Christ (Kazantzakis)
* Towing Jehovah (James Morrow)
* Only Begotten Daughter (James Morrow)
* Blameless in Abbadon (James Morrow)
* The Divine Comedy (Dante)
* Paradise Lost (Milton)
* Lamb:  the Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
(Christopher Moore)
* The Devil's Day (James Blish)
* Memnoch the Devil (Rice) (embarrassed, but... well, I liked it.)
* Corpus Christi:  A Play (Terrence McNally)

Of these --- and they're all excellent --- I'd particularly recommend
Lamb (funny!), Earthly Remains (scarily realistic), and To Reign in
Hell (thought-provoking) if you haven't read 'em.  And if you ever have
the chance to see the play Corpus Christi:  do it.  Very moving and
thought-provoking even for the avowedly secular.

Anyone else have any thematically-apropos faves on the fiction front?

jb