[FoRK] Gibson's movie, Christianity-themed books, etc. was re: Coulter: Musli

Geege geege4 at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 11 06:06:51 PST 2004

wasn't "ghandi" a blockbuster?

-----Original Message-----
From: fork-bounces at xent.com [mailto:fork-bounces at xent.com]On Behalf Of
Russell Turpin
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 12:15 AM
To: fork at xent.com
Subject: RE: [FoRK] Gibson's movie, Christianity-themed books,etc. was
re: Coulter: Musli

Jeff Bone:
>Admission:  this secular guy has a complex
>fascination w/ religion, this one in particular. ..

It's a cultural thing. Christianity simply IS
religion means for people in our place and
time. Most people from the west can't
drum up the same kind of interest in
other religions. I think part of it is that
we can better suspend disbelief in our
own culture's fantasies, whether fairies,
the Loch Ness monster, or God, than
we can in another culture's, e.g., Allah.
(On the other hand, genies seem to
have crossed that boundary.)

>Anyone else have any thematically-apropos
>faves on the fiction front?

Tom Robbins, "Another Roadside Attraction."