[FoRK] Ugh. "Don't Feed The Terrorists!"

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Mon Mar 15 06:52:48 PST 2004

On Mar 15, 2004, at 8:40 AM, Ian Andrew Bell wrote:

> I've coined the phrase "Iso-American Imperialism" here:
>
> 	http://www.geekmail.cc/foib-archives/2002-October/002712.html
>
> ...most of what I said there, I believe, is bearing out to be true.
> But while the Religious Right is supporting Iso-American Imperialism,
> it has added its own layer of context in hoping aloud for another
> Crusade.

+1.

I also think there's another, darker factor at work here.

When approaching the end of a finite iterated series of PD, the
incentives for defection increase.  Indeed, if you can know which round
will be the last, defection is almost always (in most PD payoff
matrices) the best move.  But you almost never know...

Scaling this up to the real world, you almost never know --- *UNLESS*
you are a wacky apocalyptic / eschatological fundamentalist Christian
and you think we're in the "End Days" already, and believe that
hastening the storyline is a good thing.  I think it's pretty clear
that there is some serious religious lunacy in and around the White
House and Cabinet and it would be a mistake to discount the influence
this kind of thinking might have on various decisions.

Indeed, the far fringe element might be gradually maneuvering for that
battle of Megiddo...

jb