[FoRK] Ugh. "Don't Feed The Terrorists!"

Bill Stoddard bill at wstoddard.com
Mon Mar 15 07:05:42 PST 2004

Owen Byrne wrote:

> Actually it is my personal theory that the only way you stop terrorists
> is to give them a seat at the table. Worked in Quebec, worked in
> Ireland. Terrorists have wonderful pure principles (Ireland for the
> Irish! Vive Le Quebec Libre!) and the best way to demolish them is to
> involve them in the political process.

A hopelessly optimistic pov, when dealing with militant Islamists, imho. UbL and the wahabists view all
western culture as inheriently evil and something that should be destroyed, at any cost. The hatred the
radical Islamist feel for things western is a bit deeper than your run-of-the-mill hatred between groups of
people that actually have more in common than not. How do you deal with someone that share almost none of your
cultural values and simply wants you dead?

The same argument goes for any sufficienly radical religious extremists.  Try to get inside the minds of some
of these people and look at things from their point of view, then decide whether you want to 'invite them to
the table'.

Bill