[FoRK] Ugh. "Don't Feed The Terrorists!"

Owen Byrne owen at permafrost.net
Mon Mar 15 07:25:30 PST 2004

Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Owen Byrne wrote:
>

>> Actually it is my personal theory that the only way you stop
>> terrorists is to give them a seat at the table. Worked in Quebec,
>> worked in Ireland. Terrorists have wonderful pure principles (Ireland
>> for the Irish! Vive Le Quebec Libre!) and the best way to demolish
>> them is to involve them in the political process.
>

> A hopelessly optimistic pov, when dealing with militant Islamists,
> imho. UbL and the wahabists view all western culture as inheriently
> evil and something that should be destroyed, at any cost. The hatred
> the radical Islamist feel for things western is a bit deeper than your
> run-of-the-mill hatred between groups of people that actually have
> more in common than not. How do you deal with someone that share
> almost none of your cultural values and simply wants you dead?
>
> The same argument goes for any sufficienly radical religious
> extremists.  Try to get inside the minds of some of these people and
> look at things from their point of view, then decide whether you want
> to 'invite them to the table'.
>
> Bill

Your argument was popular in both Quebec and Ireland. Ireland especially
was mischaracterized as having everything to do with religion when it
actually
had very little. Personally I was raised (in Dublin) to believe that
Brits were slightly sub-human and the Queen the spawn of Satan.
I'm not sure that fundamentalism in the Middle East isn't the same - a
tool used in the service of nationalism.
Perceived disenfranchisement is still at the root of the problem, imho.
UbL would be completely defanged if 2 things happened - not that they
will (or should). Fundamentalist regime in Saudi Arabia, and Israel
"poof!" disappeared.

Owen