[FoRK] Ugh. "Don't Feed The Terrorists!"

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Mon Mar 15 10:01:20 PST 2004

On Mar 15, 2004, at 9:01 AM, Owen Byrne wrote:

> Wouldn't Al Qaeda/Taliban circa 9/10/2001 qualify as a  state?

The Taliban itself --- distinct from Al Qaeda --- is a tricky case.
They're more like an insurgency that never fully *became* the
establishment.  (NB, I also think of insurgencies / rebels in internal
civil war conflicts as being distinct from both states and terrorist
organizations.)

> What about "state-sponsored terrorism?"

State sponsors of terrorism are still states --- and the terrorists are
still terrorists.  The fact that they get funds from a state doesn't
make them part of a state.  Good thing, too, or one could claim that Al
Qaeda is (was at one point) just a part of the US military. :-/

> I think presuming that the bombs changed the results of the election
> is pretty typical American chauvinism.

Oh, please.  Cheap shot.  C'mon, man, I'm with you most of the way on
most of these issues, and indeed, Americans are chauvinists in many
ways.  But you can't claim that assuming the bombs had an impact on the
election in Spain has anything to do w/ such chauvinism.  It's a simple
matter of looking at the fact that the party that had the lead prior to
Madrid --- did not in fact win.  You see a correlation like that and
then ask "why?"

Let's reserve the anti-Americanism for where it's warranted / actually
makes sense, okay?  Otherwise you cheapen it.

jb