[FoRK] Surfin' Monkey

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Mon Mar 15 17:36:28 PST 2004

> GB wrote:
>

> > JR, in yet another example of
> >
> >         http://www.we-exist-gifts.com/Qstore/suploads/29586.jpg
> >

> They used to sell those things in Tijuana coming across the border.
> They're called "monkey art".

Actually, that threesome is famous motif in Chinese and other eastern
folklore.  Supposedly "wise" in their refusal to acknowledge "evil"
they are instead often taken as an icon of self-delusion and political
"correctness."

> The most popular one is the monkey
> on a surfboard.   They've also done Batman and Bart Simpson ceramics,
> but this is the original "singing bass trophy" gift that's truly
> stood the test of time.
>
> http://www.thatguy.com/qtvr/surfing-monkey.html
>
> Greg

Nice find.

Myself, I'd rather be Surfin' Monkey than one of that ignoble trio...

jb