[FoRK] All The Rope II: Noose of Words

Dr. Robert J. Harley harley at argote.ch
Wed Mar 17 12:33:32 PST 2004

im>1) lying requires intent to deceive

Actually, according to that American icon www.m-w.com:

>Main Entry: 3 lie
>Function: verb
>Inflected Form(s): lied; ly.ing /'lI-i[ng]/
>Etymology: Middle English, from Old English lEogan; akin to Old High
>  German liogan to lie, Old Church Slavonic lugati
>
>intransitive senses
>1 : to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive
>2 : to create a false or misleading impression
>
>transitive senses : to bring about by telling lies <lied his way out
>  of trouble>
>
>synonyms LIE, PREVARICATE, EQUIVOCATE, PALTER, FIB mean to tell an
>  untruth. LIE is the blunt term, imputing dishonesty <lied about
>  where he had been>. PREVARICATE softens the bluntness of LIE by [...]

BushCo lied through their teeth, brazenly, barefacedly, and in the
face of repeatedly being explicitly reminded that most people on the
planet were well aware that they were doing so.  They even seem to
have been under the mistaken impression that "the big lie" meme could
last as more than an overworked historical anecdote.

It has long been completely pointless to be in denial about their lying,
all the more so if your intention is to somehow browbeat others into
accepting some alternate reality or even to actually (bis) deceive
them.  As if!  Frankly, I can no longer grok the idea of a totally
sane person sincerely believing that flogging that particular horse is
still opportune.

The situation is quite amusing over here on the old side of the pond.
Normally few people would be sufficiently interested in American
politics for it to be a generic topic of discussion during social
occasions.  Normally, if/when discussing politics, you at least sound
out people to see what their 'tude is before barging in with your view.

The fun part is that for the last year or so, you can travel wide and
far and everywhere jump straight into the deep end of an ongoing
continent-wide conversation about what a twat BushCo is, how much
faith one has (or hasn't) in American democracy and how much in
American voters to rid the world of such a dangerous sore.  Goes for
the buzz-nodes of Paris.  Goes for coffee-teats of London.  Goes for
quiet pubs on the side of a fjord in Ireland.  No ice-breaker required.

Morituri te salutant! <- Hey, so I felt like a non sequitur would be apropos.